Re: Proposed bylaws amendment notice - electronic membership

I am a life member. To get the additional services that will be developed under the cluster of electronic services I would have to pay for a electronic membership. I am not paying for a duplication of membership but the extra services that are special to this membership. The Iris register at present is an extra cost and and extra fee. Present subscribers to that service would become electronic members for the length of the subscription they already have. Most but not all present forms of membership include a subscription to a printed bulletin. If one elected to be just an electronic member than one would not recieve that service. Essentially at the last board meeting we stated we would begin the package of electronic services This October. They would include access to the bulletin electronically and the Iris Register, and whatever additional services we could get in place by that time although it is doubtful there will be others beside the bulletin at the onset. We said we would raise the price of the Iris Register to $15 with the addition of the other services, bulletin, etc. The Electronic services would become Electronic Membership as soon as the bylaws change occurred which could not be until after the memvership votes in January.

So why make this an electronic membership and not just a service? To run our organization we actually should have memberships at a higher rates than they are now. But it would be ill-advised to raise membership dues. But, in fact it may be possible to gain a substantial number of new members with a $15 membership that does not incur the huge costs of printing the bulletin. These members  could have "full benefits of membership" the term used in the articles of membership of the other bylaws. These members could become judges, vote the symposium, have the protection of our insurance, etc. etc. Any board member should be able to give the full list since the board is respomsible for creating and maintaining these benefits. Bylaws should never be written so that the board would have to have to have a new vote everytime any new benefits are added or modified. The hope is this new form of membership will attract both existing members with its expanding services and new members who would try our organization at $15 but probably not at $25. This membership actually covers its costs and would make us more fiscally stable.

----- Original Message -----
From: "cheryl deaton" <region15kids@hotmail.com>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2010 9:59:01 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: RE: [AISdiscuss] Proposed bylaws amendment notice - electronic membership

What EXACTLY does full membership in AIS consist of at this time? As a life member of AIS there might be certain 'electronic services' that I may wish to use but I won't want to purchase an electronic membership.  Why should I buy duplicate services?  Definition of what membership means would be advantageous in this instance.
Cheryl