Re: Bulletin Scanning Progress

On 1/17/2011 4:08 PM, John I Jones wrote:
I have received the PDFs of the first 18 Bulletins and it all looks pretty good.

Good news!

As we proceed to making them available on line, there are a few issues that need to be resolved or confirmed:

That the PDF library will be available online as a part of the E-membership.

That the PDF library will be accessed via a search engine that can search the entire library.

If possible (programatically) the search may be restricted to a selected subset of the library (i.e., one or more selected PDF files)

That users will be able to copy and paste (and possible print) text displayed on the screen other than by screen capture (which is an image not text).

Very important. Having only an image, and not the text, would really limit the usefulness.

Implied here is that an entire pdf file will not be downloadable with a single click. This is necessary to protect the value of the E-membership and the pdf library otherwise someone could download the entire library and make it available for free to anyone.

The limitation seems very reasonable. While in general I dislike the principle of protecting intellectual property rights by making use of the material excessively difficult, your proposed scheme looks as if it will allow normal use conveniently, while making pirating at list a bit of a pain. Fine tuning may be desirable after the system gets set up and starts to be used, but at this level of detail it looks great.

This is a really important step for the AIS!

Gerry