Re: Re: AIS Bulletin Scientific Editor and Haiku

Hi,
I have decided that I am not Japanese so these Haiku have been sent to the
convention. Since they will be in the booklet, I think the first one will be an
introduction.

So, what is the embarrassment about Norlan Henderson's articles. I did have
trouble getting through them but it was 1961 when I had my term of taxonomy in
Botany 101.

 It has bothered me for a long time that Botanical Gardens mislabel irises.
It has been my feeling that since most modern cultivars are hybrids that it is
wrong to give them a species name. I. siberica for Strawberry Fair is just
wrong. I. sanguinea is closer but still wrong. The Rose Society wouldn't stand
for Hybrid Teas to be labeled with a specie name. Why do we? I have thought that
TB Hybrid Iris, Siberian Hybrid Iris, and SDB Hybrid Iris would be good
designations.

On second thought, maybe we should give iris hybrids specie names. We are
animals of the earth and if the bees had made these hybrids we would give them
specie names. The Louisiana species I. nelsonii is a hybrid of 3 other Louisiana
species. Of course, we didn't know it when the species was named. This
example is the first time that I realized that evolution didn't only have to be
linear. The natural hybrids of I. virginica and I. versicolor have long been
designated as X-robusta. I have been using X-robusta for my hybrid cultivars but
maybe it is only for hybrids done by bees. Any thought on this subject?

Best Wishes,
Jill

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name of HAIKU1.doc]