From: Robert Pries <101p@rewrite.aisboard.org>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 13:13:31 -0600 (CST)
Subject: [AISdiscuss] Videos at Convention

Can you film a video? Is so we need your help at convention. I remember talking to a convention goer that told me he films weddings. I would hope that several people with these skills would come forward and help in even small ways. In Portland someone, thank goodness, video-taped that historic panel discussion on Tall-bearded Iris breeding with Barry Blythe, Joe Ghio, and Keith Keppel. Things like that may never happen again. But from what I understand it was not planned but serendipity that we have a tape.

Marketing seminars I have attended strongly recommend accumulating a library of footage; from people’s cell phones, to amateur videos, to professional videographers. When one has the materials to work with one can create all sorts of valuable videos, some purely promotional, some documentary. But one can do nothing unless one has videos to work with.

I would formally ask George to continue to search for someone who could do videos for the convention.

I tried to get some interest three years ago to no avail. I was excited over the excellent promo video the daylily society produced. It was professionally done, lasted 3 minutes, and cost the society $600. But in talking with the videographer he pointed out that he donated a lot of his time and services because he was a member and attended conventions anyway, so it was only a little extra cost for him. It seems to me if the daylily society can find a way to do this we should be able to also. Of course I have met lots of daylily people who were once members of AIS and who left because they are not impressed that we have our act together. I would like to prove them wrong.

Ideally I would like to see members with video cameras filming our lectures at convention and our gardens. If we take the attitude it is too hard, too costly, too whatever, we will never try. I was struck recently by a story of an entrepreneur in NC who quit his job and started a business and with only a belief in himself. He made the business into the largest of its kind in the country. His comment was that people who find all sorts of reasons not to try, never make anything happen. He said he never approaches a task with anything but the idea he will figure out how to get it done.

--

Bob Pries
Zone 7a