Re: Scanner for the AIS Library

************************************************************************************************************************
All,

I agree that we need to determine the type of scanner needed for the function being performed.  I would very much like to hear from the AIS Librarian as to what she thinks before we start considering $500, $600 or $700 scanners.  For the type of material we have been needing for 50th anniversary section publications and history searches, the previous HP Scanjet 3970 or equivalent scanner is adequate.  Jim Reilly is right that Printer/scanners don't get the job done as their quality is lacking and they tend to break down with even moderate usage.  Let us hear from Tracy.  Please.

And if you are talking long range type scanning of historical documents into electronic form I have to ask who is going to do it?  I do not believe that type of activity was what Tracy volunteered to perform.  I understand that she has a real job and only visits the library one day a week.  Do we even know if she has a computer in the Library?

Jim M.