AIS Scam? Troubling letter

Hello all,

A few days ago, Joe Spears in Argyle, Texas received a letter that was Returned To Sender.  But, he hadn't sent the letter, though it had the name Argyle Acres Iris Garden and his address in Texas as the return address.  The letter was in a number 10 window envelope.
Here is the information about the contents of this letter, received by Joe.

         Inside is a one-page printing of the AIS Conventions: Calendar/Information of the AIS website with the AIS banner at the top.  Just below the banner the sender added these words:

               " Thank you so much for taking the time to inquire, below you will find some of the first seeds that will help you get involved.  The latest guides on planting and care are available on our website.  Have fun in the garden friends!
        SEED PACKET FOR THIS MONTH" (arrow pointing to attached packet)

        Taped onto the page is a small foil packet measuring 1.5x1.5 inches.  Whatever it contains is soft and obviously not iris seeds.
        A second blank page contained only the addressee’s information (which was not deliverable) and was folded to display the name and address of a Jake Dillashaw in Sheffield, AL in the window.

Obviously, this is a disturbing letter, containing an unknown soft substance, which could be illegal and/or hazardous, but definitely not iris seeds.   Joe and Donna Spears sold Argyle Acres Iris Garden back in 2012, so obviously this letter was not initiated by them.
The letter was postmarked at the Dallas, TX distribution center.   Joe has contacted his local Postmaster and the US Postal Inspection Service.  I spoke with Joe this morning, and he has yet to hear back from the Postal Inspector and plans to re-contact them again if he does not hear from them in the next day or so.  I also suggested that he contact the police as well.  He intends to also inform the current owners of Argyle Acres Iris Garden, now in Wisconsin.
I forwarded this information to the AIS Attorney, Veronica Johnson, who advised that contacting the US Post Office is the best first step, and that informing the AIS Board and RVPs is a good second step.
So, if anyone has information or receives similar letters, please notify the local post office, and contact me, and I will forward the information to Veronica and appropriate authorities as well.  It would be good to make copies of the letter to send to us.

Please do not open any packets associated with letters of this nature.  We don't know whether the contents may be dangerous or not.  As Joe noted, this all seems too elaborate to be a prank.  It could be an isolated thing, but seems likely to involve more than this one letter and contact.  Whether its a scam or other illegal activity is yet to be determined.

I don't want to unduly scare anyone, but I think its better that you know about this than not.
Its sad that the AIS and an iris garden are used in this sort of illegal activity and our convention information, along with contacts of iris people associated with those conventions are being used to conduct such activities.

I thank Joe Spears for informing me of this letter and I ask that if you know of any affiliates or gardens receiving letters like this that you let me know.

Thanks,
Gary

Gary E. White
President, American Iris Society