Re: AIS Library Policy and Procedures

The AIS library has been in a formative stage for some
time. Much progress has been made and much more can be
expected in the future. The potential forthcoming
money from the Hager estate can easily make possible
our expectations of a good Iris library a reality.
Terry expressed a rather negative view of where he
believes we are now. I on the other hand am thinking
in terms of where we will want to be in the near
future. The vision of what a good library is be must
be articulated or the goal will never be met. With
creation of suitable standards, policies, procedures,
and goals the vision can and will materialize.
To prevent the black hole archive Terry alludes to,
two factors need to be in place. A catalog of what is
in the library and a means to disperse copies to
fulfill requests. It seems easily obtainable to
achieve both. But standards on how this will be
accomplished can save much redoing later. Even before
any Hager funds are available means to achieve these
goals can be facilitated and enabled by a cooperative
effort between AIS, the Foundation, and individuals.
It only requires the will to carry out the vision. I
initiated this discussion to allow input into the
formulation of that vision. Where we are right now is
less important then where we want to be.