From: owner-aisdiscuss@aisboard.org [mailto:owner-aisdiscuss@aisboard.org]
On Behalf Of Michelle Snyder
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2008 2:37 PM
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] AIS- Scientific Grant Proposals

Per the information supplied to me by President E. Roy Epperson, which
was excerpted from the minutes of the AIS Spring 2003 Board meeting,
once a motion is seconded there is a period of 7 days for discussion
before the motion goes to vote.  Once the motion moves to AISVote, the
process stays open for 7 days.  A minimum of 12 votes is needed by the
18 voting members.  The President only votes when there is a tie.

Michelle

Robert Pries wrote:
> My understanding (thanks to Jillbs help in providing me the info) of the
> current rules for e-mail motions is that they have 14days for discussion
and
> then they have fourteen days to collect the votes and that only one motion
can
> be discussed at a time. Does this mean that only six motions could be made
> electronically in the period between meetings? It amazes me that an
> organization the size of AIS would have so little business.
>
> There is currently a motion on discuss about grants. Generally grants are
> written after the school year and often after bloom season. The science
> committee requires time to review them. Researchers need to know before
> September and the school year begins on whether the grants are accepted.
If we
> take 14 days for discussion and 14 days for voting then it puts such a
motion
> as a last minute decision.
>
> Of course if after fourteen days there are 12 yeah votes within a day or
two,
> then disposition of the vote would not be in doubt, but I assume the
> researcher could not be officially notified until the vote closed. Is
there no
> way we could speed up our work? One way would be to be able to have more
than
> one motion at a time.
>
> I think we need to have a speedier process and the present motion is only
an
> example of why I think this is so.

The
> first proposal is by Miss Jinyan Guo, titled "Phylogenetic and
developmental
> study of Iris subgenus Limniris section Lophiris and related species".
The
> second proposal is by Dr. Allan Meerow, and titled "Heterogeneity,
ecological
> specialization and introgression in a large population of Iris
> savannarum".   Both of these proposals were reviewed by the committee
> and recommended for funding by the American Iris Society.   The total
first
> year cost is $6160.   Both are two-year studies.  The total second year
cost
> is $6405.   Payments to researchers can be made in increments throughout
the
> two-year period.
>
> I move that the AIS fund both Miss Guo's research grant request and Dr.
> Meerow's research grant request.
>
> Gary White,
> AIS Director
> Chair of Scientific Advisory Committee