Re: Draft Youth Protection Guidelines

In a message dated 4/26/2006 1:48:11 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
CEMahan@aol.com writes:

I have  read the draft Youth Protection Guidelines. I respect and appreciate

the work that Bob has devoted to this policy document. On the other hand  I
wonder if a simple statement of policy, say one paragraph, might  not
suffice.
Something to the effect that it is every member's  obligation to be alert to
any
indication of child abuse and to report any  suspected child abuse to the
proper authorities.

The  rationale for my comment is that the draft document might seriously
discourage  people from working with youth.

I fully understand and appreciate how you  feel. If yours turns out to be the
majority opinion I will  respect it and help draft the one paragraph.
However, I feel it  is my responsibility to inform the Board of its vulnerability
nowadays to  embarrassing and costly legal actions and to advocate that some
appropriate  written policy be adopted. I tried to tailor the policy  as
narrowly as possible to the AIS Youth Program, after submerging myself  in the
written policies of such organizations as 4H, scouts, various  denomination
churches, schools, and traveling amateur athletic  organizations.  I also consulted
with child  protection professionals.  If you compare what I came up with the
other's policies, you would better appreciate what I softened or left  out.
Bob.