From: owner-aisdiscuss@aisboard.org [mailto:owner-aisdiscuss@aisboard.org]
On Behalf Of Susan Boyce
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2009 11:34 PM
To: aisdiscuss
Subject: RE: [AISdiscuss] Motion for library exhibits

Hi all,

   I thought that I would throw my 2 cents worth in and voice my opinion.

   The proposal of a traveling library is nice, but I think that we are
putting the cart before the horse.  I really think that we need to have an
ad hoc committee study for 6 months or so, first before we decide on a
motion like this.  There are way too many unanswered questions that an ad
hoc committee would be able to research and get concrete answers to.

   Some of my concerns are:

1st COST,  We need to nail down the real cost of this.  How much would it
cost to ship out a display like this?  Will said that $500 would be needed
for a small display.  What would the cost be for a larger display?  Do we
now, or will we in the future have this kind of money to fund it?  Would we
need additional insurance coverage to protect it?  With our current economy
and budget crunch, could the money needed to fund this project be used
elsewhere in a more critical area of the AIS?

2nd REALITY.  Are places like Presby gardens and Huntington gardens really
committed and ready to sign on the dotted line to take on the financial and
security responsibilities to having a display like this?  Or is this just
rumors and wishful thinking that they might want a library display at their
facilities?

3rd SECURITY.  Is this display going to be under lock and key, glass
displays, or is it going to be out in the open for any "sticky fingered"
visitor who might want to add one or more items to their own personal
collection?  This might be a huge temptation for a visitor in a sparsely
visited building.
Unfortunately in our day and age, theft is a huge problem and if it is
stolen, it will be gone forever.  Just look what happened to a piece of
jewelry that was stolen at the AIS silent auction with alot of people
around.

   I really think that we need to take a step back and address these issues
first before the board makes a long lasting decision on this.  We as the
leadership, need to be fiscally responsible to our membership and we cannot
be controlled by quick, heavy handed tactics.  We really don't want to jump
into a pond with both feet, just to find out that the pond is really
quicksand.

Susan

> Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:37:33 -0700
> From: AISSecretary@irises.org
> To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
> Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] Motion for library exhibits
>
> I too agree that a traveling library has its merits. As respects
> costs, there is no way for me to obtain a potential cost of coverage
> to the AIS without first knowing some key things:
>
> How many items are we talking about?
> Would they be housed in a separate location between exhibitions?
>
> Everything in the library is currently covered under the property
> insurance section of the AIS policy. To have coverage for the items
> while they are traveling would require specific insurance. With the
> current crisis of the AIS we should be reluctant to consider this
> additional coverage. Since the AIS Foundation specifically mentions
> the library maybe the cost of the Transit coverage could be something
> that might be considered payable by the Foundation.
>
> Michelle
>

> Jeanne Plank wrote:
> > Please, everyone, do not forget that the AIS Foundation should be
> > included in our thoughts and plans involving the AIS Library. THe
> > Hager/DuBose endowment trust is to be used specifically -- I'll
> > grant you interest only for the first 20 years -- but nonetheless
> > specifically for the AIS Library (or an AIS Library.) Funds in that
> > account could be available for producing a more viable library --
> > "traveling," or on loan to appropriate locations, or even for
> > renting a suite of rooms that would house library inventory in a
> > more useful arrangement than is currently in place. There are funds
> > outside of the immediate AIS treasury, however anything we do should
> > be in concert with the AIS Foundation as many of the inventory items
> > in the AIS Library are items placed there by and through the
> > Foundation -- such as all the Hager/DuBose memorabilia.
> > It is anticipated that soon there will be photos available on line
> > of some of the artifacts in the Hager/DuBose collection.
> > Jeanne
> > On Nov 23, 2009, at 9:54 AM, Jill Bonino wrote:
> >

> >> I agree with the motion but with the caveat of Paul's comments. We
> >> need specific details of how, what, and how much before
> >> implementing this plan.
> >>
> >> FYI to everyone, the AIS Library has money in a Restricted Fund in
> >> the amount of $2555.46 as of Sept 30, 2009. This money has been
> >> used since I have been Treasurer to cover the operating expenses of
> >> Tracy Plotner and any other Library expenses. If we were to start
> >> sending out Library items, the cost should come out of the
> >> Restricted Fund for bookkeeping purposes which means we probably
> >> should encourage donations to the Library to cover these expenses.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > 11/23/09
07:52:00

> <aissecretary@irises.org> The archives for AISDiscuss are at:

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/default.aspx?ocid=PID24727::T:WLM
AGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_evergreen:112009v2

<aissecretary@irises.org> The archives for AISDiscuss are at: