Re: Boards 101 (I took the liberty of changing the subject line)

Perhaps it's time for your arrogant organizational gadfly to chime in.

As much as we would like to believe that the AIS is a unique organization, there are many principles that can and should be learned from other organizational models. In the past, I have taken issue with the manner in which the board is appointed. My motivation in doing so was very simply the fact that the organization is failing and something needs to be done. That "something" is clearly the responsibility of the Board.

There are functions and responsibilities of the Board that are universal, no matter whether the Board is local, national, international, for-profit, not-for-profit, paid or unpaid. The AIS Board (each member, both collectively and individually) should at the very least, familiarize him- or herself with those universal functions and responsibilities.

Now, it should come as no surprise that there are organizations out there that do nothing but study organizations. They generate a lot of useful information. This is my favorite example:

http://managementhelp.org/boards/brdrspon.htm#anchor185116

It is free. It is readily available. It is plainly written so that anybody should be able to understand it. If you follow the links, you will eventually get to:

http://www.managementhelp.org/misc/np-orgl-diagnostic-model.pdf

I encourage each of you to read it. There will not be a quiz, but it may just get us in the management mindset so this organization can be turned around.

Back in my hole.

Dennis Hager

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Pries" <robertpries@embarqmail.com>