From: "cheryl deaton" <region15kids@hotmail.com>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:52:12 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: RE: [AISdiscuss] Motion for library exhibits Reply part one

Bob,

If you have learned about monies such as grants and bequests that have been
lost to AIS then why, as the PR director, have you not actively searched out
and secured some of these monies, or at least put something in place to do
so??  Many organizations receive government grants, and I do not see why AIS,
as a non-profit EDUCATIONAL organization, should not apply for some of these
grants.

Cheryl

> Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:52:16 -0500
> From: robertpries@embarqmail.com
> To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
> Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] Motion for library exhibits Reply part one
>
> Cheryl has made identified some valid concerns that are the nuts and bolts
of
> how this would work in practice. I believe it is important that the board
> discuss these issues and since there were so many presented I will try to
> tackle her response a paragraph at a time so that a full answer can be
given.

> First I see this motion itself as revenue neutral. I would see each
traveling
> exhibit to have its own contract that would define what is being sent, with
an
> inventory and value assigned, what the costs would be, how the expenses
would
> be paid and who would be responsible for the care and return. I would
expect
> defined date of loan no longer then a year which would be subject to
renewal
> before return is required. Each contract would be with the boards approval.
>
> Cheryl wrote,
> Quote, While a traveling exhibit is a nice idea, as you mentioned in a
> previous email we are operating currently at a $14,000+ loss for this next
> year alone IF everyone comes in at or below estimates. How will a traveling
> exhibit be paid for - mailing/shipping (library mail is still available but
at
> a slower than snail's pace), insurance, security. Other than the 3 places
you
> have mentioned, how would we get the word out to other
libraries/clubs/groups
> that such a thing is available??? There is no money in the PR budget for
such
> a thing. I doubt that the 3 places you've mentioned would be willing to pay
> for any of it since many are operating at reduced budgets due to the state
of
> the economy and donations in general. Perhaps we could start a fund for
such
> thing, but this could possibly take away from anyone donating money for the
> general fund, etc? It is a thought. Unquote
>
> Cherylbs concern over money is well founded but I would suggest is not
> applicable to this idea. I say that because, recent experience and
information
> that I have learned, leads me to believe that AIS has lost a small fortune
in
> potential grants and donations because we have not had policies such as
this
> one and others. Many of our older members are dying. I had heard privately
> that at least five individuals would have left substantial funds both to
the
> library and to the general fund but decided to will their monies to other
> institutions because their perception of the AIS organization was that it
was
> disorganized and not serving its members well enough. Despite the large
> library endowment by the Hager fund AIS and the foundation have still not
> outlined a long term plan for how the money might be used for the library.
If
> AIS has no visions to put forth there is no one that will contribute to us.
>
> Getting the word out will not be a problem. We have AISdiscuss and the new
> Affiliatesdiscuss (as soon as it is up and running), plus many other venues
> that can be at no cost and not strain the PR budget. I have no doubt if
there
> was a contract negotiated with each of the three places mentioned that
funds
> could be gathered from many sources, me included. I would warn against,
just
> advertising this as without restrictions to every club. Depending on the
> request, what might constitute an exhibit and for what reason needs to be
> considered and each contract should make sense, a win/win for everyone. I
> donbt see any reason for creating a new fund. If a local club might wish
> create a display with a well defined theme, they might not only find
material
> within their own region that should be part of the library but it might
also
> be added to the librarys collection. It is possible that any material sent
> from the library may be returned with new accessions.
>
> This the first part of my reply

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/default.aspx?ocid=PID24727::T:WLMT
AGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_evergreen:112009v2