Re: Motion for library exhibits

Please correct that I meant to say deceased not diseased hybridizers.

i would also expect procedures to be set up for contracts with the holders of exhibits; including a time line for how long they would hold the material, perhaps renewable, that they have adequate facillities for the protection and display of the material, etc. but I am not sure the policies need to be in the motion.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Pries" <robertpries@embarqmail.com>
To: "AISdiscuss" <aisdiscuss@aisboard.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:31:30 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [AISdiscuss] Motion for library exhibits

There was so much to work on at the board meeting that there were many things
that remained not discussed. One of these is a motion I would like to make
concerning the AIS library. Since I am not known for making terse statements I
would entertain suggestions as to the wording, but here is my attempt:

That the AIS library create traveling exhibits that could be viewed at
designated bbranchesb throughout the country.

The intent of this motion is to make this archive more available to our
membership and interested gardeners. Presently the library has many artifacts
in the library from Medals awarded to diseased hybridizers to all sorts of
photos and memorabilia. It is a museum to which hardly anyone goes to or knows
about. Because it is not seen by anyone many people are reluctant to give
their artifacts to the Library. But with the libraries endowment it is
undoubtedly the very best place for people to leave these mementos. I can
think of three situations that would be ideal as traveling exhibits.

First: the Sass Memorial Gardens in Nebraska : Presently a great deal of
memorabilia is being held by a trustee for the Sass collection. They seem to
be reluctant to turn over the collection for fear it will never be seen again
in Nebraska . If we authorized a traveling exhibit they might be willing to
turn the material over for accession to the library and some as room was
available could gone on display in the Memorial garden. If the Library never
receives this material before the trustee dies it is likely it will be lost
forever.

Second: Presby Memorial Gardens has space to do a semi permanent display that
would be great for many artifacts associated with the Eastern USA . If the
library authorized a traveling display here it could be seen by hundreds of
visitors each year. It could enhance the garden but still remain the property
of AIS and would have some protection from loss. No doubt other wonderful
things will be donated if they can be on display here and still be under the
auspices of the AIS Library. I have heard rumors that an individual is looking
for a place to donate several very valuable paintings if such an exhibit
existed.

Third: It has been suggested that an exhibit of Hager memorabilia might be
accepted for a period of time at Huntington gardens in conjunction with a
future convention in the area.

If we would move to have these types of exhibits and carry them out, the
Library would gain a great deal of respect that is presently not there in the
community of irisarians. We are at a critical time in our history. In ten
years we will be one hundred years old as a society. They may actually be some
people alive still that new its early history. We need to make the library a
respectable institution that Iris lovers believe deserves to archive Iris
history. We need to do it now and make an appeal for people to leave Iris
slides, photos and memorabilia to the library before much of this is
discarded. Everyone might ask older members in their club if they have any
historical stuff that they might leave to the library.