Re: 2013 AIS Convention

   Janet, I did want to clarify just a little about the 2004 National
Convention in Fresno.  As you know, I served as the 2004 convention
Treasurer and worked very, very closely with Betty Coyle who was the
chairman of the event.   (2nd AIS convention I was Treasurer.)

   There certainly were instructions provided to the guest garden hosts,
much was taken from the AIS Convention Handbook (guidelines), and there were
HUGE Thank You's given to all who participated as a volunteer.   Our Summer
and Fall Region 14 bulletins do include articles of Thank You's, and I also
personally know that Betty Coyle, on behalf of the Region 14 Board,
expressed continual thanks to all the volunteers and garden hosts at several
regional functions.   Additionally, although the event was centered near and
around the Fresno area, it truly was a Regional hosted event and not an
affiliate event.   I myself could never conceive of a single small affiliate
becoming a host of a National Convention, as it took efforts of dozens of
volunteers from all affiliates in our region to be successful with an event
of this magnitude.

    There is no doubt, it is very difficult during the initial planning
stages to obtain committments from a number of garden hosts who would be
willing to become garden hosts for a National event.  Everyone knows it is a
ton of work.

Kitty Loberg

Region 14 Past RVP