RE: 2013 AIS Convention

I don't think anyone would dispute the fact that there is a very real
difficulty in getting groups/regions that are strong enough entities to
"host" a AIS Convention and its attendant structure. (Dennis Hager has
outlined this below.) Overall it's a huge task and there are few areas that
have all the correct elements in place. Therefore the present and ongoing
difficulty in setting future convention venues.

I would agree that perhaps the time is right for the AIS to take more
ownership in what is the flagship annual event. I was quite surprised many
years ago when I found out that the AIS had basically nothing to do with
organizing these conventions, that it was left up to local groups to
initiate, produce and execute the entire event. What I mean by the AIS
taking ownership in this case could be providing organization leadership and
production for the event (see detail below). Local groups would still have
some involvement(see below). The basic format structure of the event is very
similar from year to year just the venue changes. (the overall convention
format could stand to be modified to be a shorter timespan but that's
another discussion.)

The concept that I put forth is as follows:

AIS take ownership of the event in the following areas:
Financial risk (and reward)
Market event (we already basically do that)
Plan and coordinate
Execute the whole thing

Local group:
Provide display gardens
Provide some volunteers at the event

The AIS part looks formidable on its own, correct? There is a solution. Its
not free. Its businesslike, professional and provides the basis of a planned
structure and future. (rather than hope and pray)

There are professional meeting organizers who could be contracted on an
event basis to coordinate all the hotel selection and arrangements, bus and
trip arrangements, banquets, meeting rooms arrangements, etc.. There would
have to be a AIS liaison to provide input and direction. Probably someone
who has organized a convention previously would be a very good candidate.
The bulk of the work is done by the professional meeting organizer. Set-up
expenses for the convention would come from the AIS and correspondingly any
potential excess would also go back to AIS and could help fuel subsequent
conventions financially.

There would still be a local group involvement, that would be absolutely
necessary but they would not have to bear the organizational weight of the
event. They would still have to provide the garden venues (which is
considerable on its own) and some peoplepower at the event but the bulk of
the convention execution could be arranged by the professional organizer. I
think you would get many more venue candidates with a concept something like
this in place.

I do know people that do this exact type of thing (organize large meetings
and conventions). They have done this very successfully for businesses at
venues all around the world. Our AIS convention would probably be quite
simple for them in comparison. If you wish I could make an initial inquiry
and/or put our designated representative in touch.

Christopher Hollinshead
3070 Windwood Drive, Mississauga, Ontario L5N 2K3
e-mail: wolf-com@rogers.com