Re: July Bulletin

Good Evening All,

I have attended all of the AIS Board Meetings since 1981.  The subject of
the bulletin size has been brought a number of times over the years.  I
particularly like the current size of the bulletin.  I don't really
accept the idea other plant societies are going to a larger size
bulletin so we should also.  We should be a leader not a follower.  A
justification for the change should be made before we make a change to
the size.

What I would suggest to the Bulletin Editor that he put a question in one
of the coming issues asking our membership if they prefer to continue
with the current size bulletin or go to a larger size.  Give the negative
and positive sides of both and then discuss the results at the next board
meeting and go from their.

The issue of changing the months to seasons and seasons to months has
also been discussed a good number of times over the years.

WOW!  The July Bulletin is EXCELLENT.  I like the flow of the articles
and the layout of the pictures and their flow are amazing and very
beautiful and easy to follow.

Keep up the very good work and please pass all of these comments on to
all of the people that help with putting the bulletin together.

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL OF THEM.

Paul

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 12:50:52 -0700 "Terry Aitken"
<terry@flowerfantasy.net> writes:
> Hi All
> I love these comments! Been there, done that, but we could do it
> again?
> "Wrong size". This was brought up 15 years ago when I first became
> editor.
> At that time, it would have allowed us to add pages to the bulletin
> (content) without adding the cost of PERFECT BIND (It is more
> expensive).
> The idea was not well received - then. We went to perfect bind which
> does
> make a nicer book with the edge binding issue info. And offers
> unlimited
> pages. We were at the limit with "staple stitching". So we went to
> perfect
> bind and increased the page count to 128 from about 96.
> From another perspective, I also belong to the Orchid Society
> ($60.00 per
> year). They went to the "coffee table" magazine size (8 1/2 x 11")
> several
> years ago. This was during the early stages of serious membership
> drop. The
> magazine is very impressive but it did not stop the membership drop
> - which
> is still more severe than ours. This just speaks to the motivation
> for
> "change". We need a better reason.
>
> "Month" versus "season". Since the beginning of (my) time, there
> have always
> been people out there who live by the stopwatch and complain
> bitterly when
> our magazine does not arrive on day one of the month of issue. I
> might
> defend our position by saying that commercial magazines have a full
> time
> paid staff - unlike some other "volunteer" organizations. I did
> suggest
> "seasons" as a way out of this dilemma. Again, not a positive
> response -
> back then. ""Winter", "Spring", "Summer", "Fall" works fine with me.
> I do remember Ron Mullin defending the Bulletin delivery time by
> saying that
> it was the "month of assembly and delivery". I like that one and
> have lived
> by it. Occasionally, we get lucky and have an "early issue". This
> particular
> issue had a time line that had nothing to do with AIS. Erica was
> going on
> vacation (some civilized people do that!!!)on the 4th of July so,
> for me, it
> was a do or die situation. We made it with an hour to spare. (I love
> stress!!) I'm not sure that Erica did!
>
> Anyway, keep those cards and letters coming. I am enjoying the
> conversation.
> Terry

(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1223106546x1201717234/aol?redir=
htt
> :%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D8)

> > To sign-off this list, send email to the AIS Secretary
> > <aissecretary@irises.org>
> > The archives for AISDiscuss are at:
> > http://www.aisboard.org/lists/aisdiscuss/
> >

> > Bob Plank - man on the move.

> > To sign-off this list, send email to the AIS Secretary
> > <aissecretary@irises.org>
> > The archives for AISDiscuss are at:
> > http://www.aisboard.org/lists/aisdiscuss/

> > To sign-off this list, send email to the AIS Secretary
> > <aissecretary@irises.org>
> > The archives for AISDiscuss are at:
> > http://www.aisboard.org/lists/aisdiscuss/

> > To sign-off this list, send email to the AIS Secretary
> > <aissecretary@irises.org>
> > The archives for AISDiscuss are at:
> > http://www.aisboard.org/lists/aisdiscuss/

> Bing brings you maps, menus, and reviews organized in one place.
> Try it
> now.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=restaurants&form=MLOGEN&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TX
T_M
> OGEN_Local_Local_Restaurants_1x1

Find the right voice for your project by clicking here!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTIbtCwvDRCy4sdg7yeV5n1QnxDBmlJ7FnsKusFmArNZXreo134pV2/