To: <aisdiscuss@aisboard.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 20, 2008 7:03 PM
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss]-OPEN MEETINGS and password protected records

While I agree that the establishing Motion did not specify that the
deliberations on AISDiscuss be conducted within Robert's Rules of
Order, I don't think that has been a problem and we have more or less
adhered to those rules, at least as much as we do at live board
meetings. However the immediacy of email and the irregularity with
which some people (not meaning  anyone in particular just people in
general) may read email may cause some unintended "violations" of the
RRoO.

I would also opine that anyone should be allowed to post a comment to
AISDiscuss and be able to read the messages thereon. While the
archives provide a (somewhat stilted) solution to the latter, it does
require that the interested party 1: Knows about the archives and 2:
Takes the time to go there. Not the best solution in the world.

Likewise just allowing anyone to post to the AISDiscuss list results,
as we have experienced, the potential for a lot of SPAM.

I would propose, and will do so at the fall Board meeting that
someone (hopefully not me) be designated as an alternate
"subscription manager" for AISDiscuss with the intent that anyone who
legitimately wants to post to and receive messages from AISDiscuss be
allowed to as long as they conform to civil and appropriate messaging
and that this process be prominently noticed in the AIS Bulletin.

in my opinion, the Board needs to be able to conduct business in-
between meetings and should do so in as public a way as possible
without unduly inconveniencing the members.

John