Contacting the editor

Dear friends and colleagues,

I wanted to take the opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a
Happy New Year!  Cheers to the iris season ahead!

In recent months, there seems to be confusion and a little angst about how
to get in touch with me about issues pertaining to Irises.  As many of you
know, on Nov. 30 I assumed a new full-time role as the first horticulture
manager at the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden, a new botanical garden
forming around a former municipal facility in Des Moines, Iowa.  It's an
amazing opportunity, and once our outdoor gardens start to take shape in the
next few years, I hope you'll stop by and visit us.  We may have a *few*
irises to look at (wink, wink).

To make everyone's lives a little easier in terms of getting in touch, let
me suggest the following:

1.  Please direct any Irises related communication to my AIS email account:
editor@irises.org.  This email account gets automatically checked multiple
times a day, along with my personal email account in one inbox.  I've
historically had several email accounts for various roles in my life, which
is a source of natural confusion.  However, please direct all AIS-related
emails to editor@irises.org.  There's no need to copy all of my accounts (I
just get the same message in the same inbox multiple times).  Replies to any
emails will always come from kellydn@frontiernet.net, but that's not nearly
as easy to remember as the AIS one.  Thanks to John Jones for devising this
easy system of email communication (and please see the directory in Irises
for a complete listing of all AIS "official" email addresses).

2.  Given that I work full-time during the day, I can be difficult to reach
via phone.  Many of you know that I'm very much attached to my email.  While
I may not always be great at generating a pronto response these days, rest
assured that if you email me, I've seen it.  I'll do my best to issue a
confirmation or reply as needed as quickly as possible.  Following up after
a few days never hurts and is a professional courtesy I appreciate.  My home
office number is 515-777-2356.  I'm trying to utilize that line and my email
for business matters to alleviate the number of calls I get on my cell
phone, but again, I'm usually only home during the evenings (after 6:00 p.m.
CDT).  If you have my cell phone number and need to contact me about AIS
business, feel free to, but only in cases of absolute urgency that can't be
addressed in an email.

Please don't misread me here, I only wanted to offer an explanation for why
I may have seemed a little "out of touch" about AIS business in the last
month and how you can best reach me.  I enjoy getting to talk with some many
branches of the iris world on a regular basis and appreciate everyone's
passion for the challenges and opportunities that face AIS.  Thanks for your
support!

Best holiday wishes,

--kdn

Horticulturally,

Kelly D. Norris

Horticulture Manager, Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden
(www.dmbotanicalgarden.com)

Unabashedly passionate plantsman (www.kellydnorris.com)