AIS Library

Anner Whitehead sends:

Greetings.

I have used the AIS Library from time to time. I use a lot of horticultural libraries, so I think I should speak to this question.

Since access to this collection, including access from a remote location, is correctly considered a perk of AIS membership, I want to encourage you first to find someone with a deep commitment to member service and to their own self-education to run the place.

I do not think engaging Presby to operate the AIS Library is a good idea for several good reasons, one of which is that they are now, as I understand it, legally operating under the aegis of a municipality, Essex County, New Jersey. Moreover, those gardens have their own unique mission, defined by the Director in conversation to me, as interpreting the iris collections as a living museum. I was also informed by the Director about a year ago in a phone conversation one snowy day when she called to comment on an article I'd written, that their institutional records and files are as yet in the basement and uncataloged. They have the same problems with the quantity and quality of volunteer staff that other organizations do, of course.

I remember when I went for my first day of volunteer work, which was weeding herbaceous borders in an historic garden in town, my husband, an executive in the non-profit field, told me "Remember, a good volunteer always holds herself to the same standard of professional excellence as she would were she being paid handsomely to do the job." I believe he is absolutely right, although my experience suggests some folks never got that particular pep-talk.

If you like the idea of affiliating with an institution, I suggest you may wish to approach the Elizabeth C. Miller horticultural library at the University of Washington at Seattle.  Tell them you want to partner, have a unique and nationally significant collection, and just need a comfortable well lit room, a generous work table,  a couple of chairs, the usual security, and ease of access at convenient hours.

http://depts.washington.edu/hortlib/calendar/tours_sales.php

Then there is the Anderson Horticultural Library--internationally famous-- at the University of Minnesota.

http://www.arboretum.umn.edu/library.aspx

Alternately, I suggest the President call Filardi, and see if he is available to come back to work yet.

In any case, if you cannot put the library where the researchers actually are,--demographics do count--then make sure you appoint a librarian who understands what research involves, and is energized by the process. Without that person you have nothing, but with the right person, you could operate effectively from almost any place which is not a  pluperfect hell hole, into which category I am reliably informed the current facility falls.

Cordially,

Anner M. Whitehead

John and Joanne Jones
Registrar-Recorder