2008 U.S. Treasury filing E-card for Non Profit Organizations

To AIS Board members, Committee Chairs and especially all Regional Vice Presidents and Presidents of AIS Sections:

In 2008 the U.S. Treasury is requiring an electronic filing from all Section 501(c)(3) non profit organizations who do not file an annual Form 990 because their income is too small.

As Treasurer of the AIS I will be making these filings for all of the AIS Regions, affiliates and Sections that meet the following requirements:

1.  Have been granted section 501(c)3) status and have an employer ID #.

2.  Do not file a Form 990 or Form 990T because of low income.

If your affiliate club, region or Section DOES NOT MEET both of the above requirements, you do not have to do anything.

If you are an affiliate/region in Canada you do not have to do anything as your affiliate is not subject to U.S. tax law.

****

For all affiliate clubs, regions and sections that meet both #1 & #2 above, I will need the following information from you (preferably via email) as soon as possible:

1.   Organization legal name.
2.   Any other names your organization uses.
3.   Organization's mailing address.
4.   Organization's website address (if applicable).
5.   Organization's employer identification number (EIN).
6.  Name and address of a principal officer of your organization (prefereably the current President).
7.   Organization's annual tax period**
8.   Verify that your organization's annual gross receipts are still normally $25,000 or less, and
9.  Indicate if your organization has terminated (is no longer in business).

**The organization's annual tax period is when your club or region prepares its annual income and expense report, whether December 31st of each year or another month of the year.

THE ANNUAL ELECTRONIC NOTICE IS DUE BY THE 15TH DAY OF THE FIFTH MONTH AFTER THE CLOSE OF YOUR ANNUAL TAX PERIOD.  FOR EXAMPLE, IF YOUR CLUB'S/REGION'S/SECTION'S TAX PERIOD ENDS ON DECEMBER 31, 2007, THE ANNUAL ELECTRONIC NOTICE IS DUE MAY 15, 2008.

SO, I would appreciate it if I could have your club's/region's/section's information within 75 days of the close of your organization's year end..
For example, if your organization's year end is December 31st, please respond to me with your answers to the above 9 questions no later than March 15, 2008.

I will acknowledge when I receive your information and when I have filed your electronic notice, so that you know your club/region/section is in compliance.  All of this hopefully can be handled by email as much as possible.

Please let me know either at aistreas@earthlink.net or at my mailing address at 3110 Kirkham Drive, Glendale,  CA  91206 if you have any questions and to file your written answers to the above 9 questions.

I will be following up on all affiliates/regions/sections that I know have filed for Section 501(c)(3) status using the list prepared each year by the IRS and amended by AIS Legal Counsel Robert Plank as needed.

This is a new thing, so I will work with everyone as best I can to get the information I need to make the filings as easily as I can.  I will need all the help I can get, so your timely response to this email will be greatly appreciated.

I know it is the holiday time but I also know some clubs have already been receiving letters and information from the IRS directly, and I want to reduce confusion about this as much as possible.

Again please send inform/questions to me at

Jill Bonino, Treasurer
aistreas@earthlink.net

OR

3110 Kirkham Drive