Re: 2014 AIS Awards

And thank you John for keeping the original version available as well.
That keeps the link in News & Notes from breaking.

Regards,

Wayne Messer

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Susan Grigg <101d@rewrite.aisboard.org>
wrote:

> [...]
>>> they are sent to members. The Website and the Encyclopedia are passive,
>>> someone must go to them. I feel it is important that N&N gets the message
>>> out first as a perk of membership. Unfortunately N&N must link to the
>>> Website or the Encyclopedia because displaying it directly would be
>>> unwieldy and too many bites for some mailboxes.
>>>
>>> Facebook is sort of a mix of active and passive. Many people get
>>> notifications of new posts. I recently listened to an hour long
>>> presentation on Facebook marketing and some interesting information was
>>> discussed. It used to be that if a post was sent out on Facebook you could
>>> judge its success by how many people responded in the first fifteen
>>> minutes. Facebook has changed some ways in which it works, especially for
>>> organizations. Not everyone sees a post at the same time, and responses can
>>> be stretched out over a day or two. So one cannot count on everyone seeing
>>> or having access to a post at the same time, as used to be the case.
>>> Facebook groups perform differently than Facebook pages. My analysis is
>>> that Facebook has made it much more difficult for organizations than for
>>> groups.
>>>
>>> In my ideal world members would get the announcement first through N&N.
>>> But my world does not exist. Therefore it is probably rational that the AIS
>>> Facebook page have the information at the same time or within hours. And of
>>> course the Bulletin needs to have images, etc. when it comes out. I have
>>> already heard a request that the printable version on the website to be in
>>> two columns so there would be fewer pages to print. Because all
>>> announcement venues require a little preparation or a lot, it seems
>>> important that all the venues have the information they need before, so
>>> they release at the same time or as soon as their publication in the case
>>> of the Bulletin.
>>>
>>> It took about ten hours work for me to get the information ready to go
>>> on the Encyclopedia. I dropped all other projects to get it done as fast as
>>> possible. But it would be nice to have maybe three or four days to be
>>> working on that. If Gerry would get this to me while Jim is making calls
>>> instead of after, I might be able to have it ready to go, with no errors to
>>> fix, as soon as Jim makes his last call.
>>>
>>> Considering last year it took a while to reach one of the winners
>>> perhaps we should create a timetable. When Gerry tells Jim, it is announced
>>> that the awards will be announced in 4 days. If the winners cannot be
>>> reached during that time than too bad. They were probably not waiting with
>>> great anticipation. And during that time the publicity could be worked on
>>> by those needing to do the work. There is of course more publicity that
>>> needs to occur past the immediate release date. But if a date was set for
>>> publication, perhaps the winners would be available for those calls, and
>>> others would be less eager to beat AIS to the punch on Facebook.

>>> for our respective jobs and discern what type of information would be
>>> best
>>> suited for our separate mediums. When I saw the post on Iris Lovers I
>>> rushed to put publish on the Blog and subsequently on Facebook (this
>>> occurs
>>> automatically). For best results, I only publish early in the morning