Fwd: Backyard Bounty Bliss â Wenke Greenhouses

Thought you would appreciate the kudos you received from Wenke
greenhouses.  I printed out the information on raising iris.  Nice photo of
John.

From: laura@wenkegardencenter.com
To: "david lyon"
<david.lyon@wmich.edu>
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2014 2:56:49 PM
Subject:
Backyard Bounty Bliss b%  Wenke Greenhouses

Email not displaying correctly?
Click Here to view it in your browser.

Nothing compares to the
satisfaction of growing your own produce! We have been reaping the rewards of
all our hard work. Salsa made with all our homegrown tomatoes and peppers,
BLT's and my favorite cucumber and onion salad! YUM! We have been enjoying our
sweet corn and beans although, sadly, we are getting less beans than normal
this year. All the hearty flavors of our freshly grown vegetables inspire us
look for more ways to incorporate our homegrown produce into our daily menu.
Eating healthy never tasted soooo good!
If you didnbt plant a garden this
year, why not make plans for one next year? I recently heard about a website
called SmartGardener.com, which is supposed to help you keep track of your
garden and help you grow better, healthier plants. Planning, planting, caring
for, and keeping track of a garden can be a lot of work - especially if you're
a newer gardener so maybe this planner will help. It even reminds you when to
fertilize and water!
Plan on stopping into Wenke Greenhouses this Saturday,
August 16th, 2014 for the Festival of Flowers and Fragrance. Even if you don't
have any roses to enter, this is a great opportunity to interact with others
who grow roses and to learn about the many different types of roses that are
currently available in the market place, many of which are very easy to grow,
even for a beginner. Come, regardless of your experience or knowledge of
roses, to join in the fun, and to see and smell the roses!
We now have even
more roses for you. Right now, we have a fresh selection of own-root roses
available for late summer and early fall planting. Own-root plants, although
not widely available at most garden centers, generally perform better under
difficult climate situations of temperature and rainfall extremes which we
seem to be having lately. Read more about own-root roses vs grafted in the
article below.
If you missed the Iris Society Workshop last Saturday, I
included some of the information they made available to us. August/September
is the best time to divide and plant irises. We will also have bearded iris
rhizomes available for sale through Saturday August 16th, 2014 at only $3.33
each. We still have a great selection available.
Recently, I have had a couple
of customers mention they were having a hard time getting blossoms on their
hydrangeas so I have included some information that may help.
As we swing into
fall, check out our fresh selection of mums and fall accents plants as more
will be arriving daily! Just got in a shipment of fresh perennials which are
still 30% off. We have a great selection of fresh herb plants including all of
your standard favorites..dill for your pickles and cilantro for your salsa! If
you grow your own herbs, youbll have a fresh supply always ready to be
snipped, available all year if you grow them in your pots indoors too.
Open
Monday - Saturday 9 - 6 all the way till Christmas!  Lots of reasons to stop
in! Be sure to like us on Facebook to keep up with sales and events in the
store.
We look forward to seeing you!
Laura Valence
Wenke Greenhouses
Where
the Earth Laughs in Flowers

Grafted vs. Own-Root Roses, So What's the
Big Deal?

By Joyce Latta
Most roses grown for sale to homeowners are produced
by grafting the desired rose variety onto a rooted understock of a different
rose variety, often Dr. Huey or Multiflora for northern climates, or
fortuniana in southern or western climates. There are several reasons this is
done:

Why Doesn't my Hydrangea Bloom?

Many customers ask why their
hydrangeas aren't blooming. The primary reasons hydrangeas don't bloom are
incorrect pruning, bud damage due to winter and/or early spring weather,
location and too much fertilizer.

Iris Society Workshop and Rhizome
Sale

Thanks to the SWM Iris Society for putting on such a great workshop this
past Saturday.  We learned a lot of helpful information about bearded irises.
If you missed it on Saturday, we will have bearded iris rhizomes available for
sale until Saturday August 16th, 2014 at only $3.33 each.

Cucumber
Onion Salad Recipe

Cucumber Onion Salad is a classic summer side dish. This
is a family-favorite that is perfect for many occasions as well as just for
snacking.

This email was sent to lyon@wmich.edu. If you wish to
unsubscribe, follow this link.
Please direct comments and feedback to
retailinfo@wenkegreenhouses.com.

Email not displaying correctly? Click Here
to view it in your browser.

Phone: 269-388-2266 :: Web:
www.wenkegreenhouses.com :: Kalamazoo, Michigan 49048
B) Copyright 2014 Wenke
Greenhouses, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Produced by Clarity Connect, Inc.