Re: 2014 AIS Convention

I think first we need to know how many this will effect especially board
members. I don't believe if we have gone as low as we can we want to risk
losing our rate or rooms. But any decision we make hinges on those effected.
And then look at our options.
Thank you and happy gardening
 Ron

pwgossett@juno.com wrote:

Dear Folks,

I have somewhat of a problem and I do not know what to do.  When the Iris
Society of Dallas voted to change the dates of the 2014 AIS Convention from
April 21 through April 26 to the new dates of April 5 through April 10, this
created a conflict with the SLI Convention in New Orleans.

First off the 2014 AIS Convention in Dallas starts on Saturday, April 5 and
the SLI Convention in New Orleans ends on Saturday, April 5.

I heard in Dallas this past Spring, several people were wanting to attend the
SLI Convention in New Orleans.   But, I really don't know how many are
planning on attending the SLI Convention in New Orleans.

Back at the Fall Board Meeting in Bedford, MA in 1998, the AIS Board of
Directors held a discussion concerning an earlier convening date for the AIS
Board meeting during the Spring National Conventions so as to enable those
attending the meeting to participate in other scheduled activities.  After the
discussion it is was decided to begin the new schedule at the 2000 AIS
Convention in Dallas, TX.  So, since 2000, the AIS Board has been meeting on
the first day of the convention and no other activities have been scheduled on
that day.

I have been trying to figure a way to get around this but, since the AIS Board
had agreed to make this change in 1998 and we have been doing so since 2000, I
do not know what to do but ask for advice from the AIS Board.

My question to you.  Should I go ahead and schedule the the AIS Board Meeting
to begin on Saturday, April 5, 2014 and meet on Saturday and Sunday or  move
the AIS Board Meeting to start on Sunday, April 6, 2014 and meet on Sunday and
Monday and run the AIS Board meeting at the same time as other meetings are
going on?

By making a change, attendees may be arriving a day later thus the possibility
of losing some of our guest room block on Friday night and maybe 1/2 of the
guest room block on Saturday night.  I have already worked with the hotel to
reduce the number of guest rooms for the 2014 Convention from what we had in
2013 and I am down to as low as the hotel will allow me to go.

Please help.

Thank you,

Paul