Re: Re: Final Awards List

Jill,

Great thoughts on this issue.

________________________________
From: Jill Bonino <aistreas@earthlink.net>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent:
Thu, August 23, 2012 2:16:22 PM
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] Re: Final Awards
List

Option #1 - Delay releasing Award Winners List until Aug 15th?
If anything
arrives after that date, don't change the totals but give the
Judge credit for
voting that year.  Would the Academy Awards change the
winner if they got a late
but properly postmarked ballot that got lost in the
mail?  I am sure many of
their members live overseas.  I don't think so.
They have a "received by"
deadline, not a postmark deadline.

Option #2
- For 2013 and after, change the ballot deadline to a "received by"
date such
as August 10 rather than the postmark date of Aug 1?

Option #3 -
Consider the original winner (who now is officially bumped off) as
still in a
tie for the last HM position and add the correct winners in?

Option #4 -
Correct the original Winners List after adding in the late ballot
and drop
the original winners?

At some point voting will all be electronic and
this will be moot,  but that is
several years away.

For 2012, I think we
should do Option #3 and add the iris that were originally
included on the HM
list as still included but in a tie for the last spots.
No Medal awards or
AM awards were affected.  It think it would be good PR.  It
doesn't cost us
anything but an added HM certificate or two.  An "asterisk"
could be put in
the Awards file for 2012 and an explanation of what happened.

Then I
think we should make a motion to do Option #2 and have a "received by"
date
for the ballot instead of a "postmark" date.  Then we are not setting a
precedent and this problem cannot happen again.    In the future if it gets
lost
in the mail, it is not counted.   If we change the date to a "received
by" date
now, we would have plenty of time to print and post on our website
that this
change will come next year, and hopefully judges will send in their
ballots to
be sure they get here in time even with the possibility of bad
postal service.

 My penny's worth.

JIll

-----Original
Message-----
aisdiscuss@aisboard.org

8/18/2012 1:51 PM, MORRISJE1@aol.com wrote:
>> As I said earlier and state
more strongly now: I think it is
>> inherently wrong for AIS to put out an
awards list and then to have to
>> correct it removing people who had a false
joy and were already
>> receiving congratulations from around their region. I
would rather
>> see us add them back in and error on the side of
encouragement to
>> hybridizers rather than disappointment. Do I have to put
it in the
>> form of a motion? Nobody responded that they even read my first
email.

>I will, of course, add back the two iris that were in the premature
(and
>erroneous) winners listing if so directed by the AIS president, or by a
>passed motion from the board.
>
>But bending (or breaking) the rules because
we feel sorry for the
>hybridizer seems like the wrong thing to do, or at
least a dangerous
>precedent. Would the subject even have come up if the iris
involved came
>from Schreiners? I certainly sympathize with not wanting to
discourage a
>hybridizer, though.
>
>One further question: The early list had
a three-way tie for sixth place
>in the Siberian HM winners with 20 votes
(and the category was supposed
>to have six winners plus ties). Two of them
dropped off the list when
>one of the three got a vote in the late ballot.
The question is whether,
>if one of the iris with 19 votes in the original
list had also got a
>vote (neither did, fortunately), raising its total to
20, would it also
>be promoted, or would two iris with 20 votes be declared
winners and
>another with 20 votes not be a winner? The two lists are shown
below. An
>example of my question is "What if LAUGH OUT LOUD had 20 votes in
the
>second list?"
>
>Anyhow, to reiterate my first comment, I will gladly do
whatever the
>board and/or president wish. But if there is much further delay
in
>releasing an official list I will be purchasing a military quality flak
>jacket to protect myself from those clamoring for the list, and charging
>the jacket to AIS.
>
>Gerry Snyder
>AIS Awards Chair
>

>Early list:
>
>SIB
HONORABLE MENTION
>(Total votes cast = 693)
>85 GINGER TWIST (Marty
Schafer/Jan Sacks)
>78 MISS APPLE (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
>38 LUCY LOCKET
(Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
>26 CAPE COD BOYS (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
>23 TRIP
TO PARIS (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
>20 DIRIGO INDIGO (John White)
>20 HOW
AUDACIOUS (Robert Hollingworth)
>20 JANE M. SADLER (Barbara Schuette)
>Runners
Up:
>19 LAUGH OUT LOUD (Robert Hollingworth)
>19 SYLVIA'S LOVE (Sylvia
Borglum)

>Revised list:
>
>SIB HONORABLE MENTION
>(Total votes cast = 699)
>86 GINGER TWIST (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
>79 MISS APPLE (Marty Schafer/Jan
Sacks)
>38 LUCY LOCKET (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
>26 CAPE COD BOYS (Marty
Schafer/Jan Sacks)
>24 TRIP TO PARIS (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
>21 HOW
AUDACIOUS (Robert Hollingworth)
>Runners Up:
>20 DIRIGO INDIGO (John White)
>20 JANE M. SADLER (Barbara Schuette)
>19 LAUGH OUT LOUD (Robert Hollingworth)
>19 SYLVIA'S LOVE (Sylvia Borglum)

sign-off this list, send email to the AIS Secretary

>The archives for
AISDiscuss are at:
>http://www.aisboard.org/lists/aisdiscuss/
sign-off this list, send email to the AIS Secretary The archives for
AISDiscuss
are at: http://www.aisboard.org/lists/aisdiscuss/I think that this
is a "freak
thing" in one year. Mail from overseas can sometimes take weeks
to arrive after
being postmarked. What do we do if you receive a ballot in
October properly
postmarked but it got lost somewhere in the system...either
domestic or foreign?
How long do you "hold" the winners list in case you get
a late but official
ballot?