From: "Judy Keisling" <keisling@swbell.net>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2012 7:55:09 PM
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] Re: Final Awards List

While I empathize with this situation, particularly for the hybridizer of Jane
M. Sadler (who I personally know), I am not willing to make a decision to put
this iris back on the HM list.

It is unfortunate that a valid vote came in
after the awards list was
announced. For the past several years we have
waited at least 10 days after the
deadline before notifying the medal winners
and then published the full list a
couple days after that. This is what was
done again this year. I notified the
medal winners on August 10 and the full
list was published on Discuss on August
12. The vote from overseas arrived
on August 13.

I don't like to be hard nosed about this but the rules are the
rules, evem
thought we may not always like them. We would be setting a
precedent by putting
these two irises back on the list of HM winners - a
precedent I am not in favor
of. Once we start making exceptions where do we
stop? What if another ballot
came in today that was postmarked by the
deadline? It could happen if it got
stuck in the postal system someplace.
Do we shuffle the cards yet again?

Certainly the Board could vote to add the
two irises back on the HM list - but I
think it's dangerous to start making
exceptions to rules that are in place.

Perhaps we should wait 15 days to
announce the winners in the future, but again
- what happens if a valid
ballot arrives on the 16th or 17th day?

Again, I'm sorry that a new
hybridizer is disappointed after thinking that her
iris received an HM - I
know it's a big let down.

Judy
On 8/18/2012 1:51 PM, MORRISJE1@aol.com
wrote:
> As I said earlier and state more strongly now: I think it is

inherently wrong for AIS to put out an awards list and then to have to

correct it removing people who had a false joy and were already
> receiving
congratulations from around their region. I would rather
> see us add them
back in and error on the side of encouragement to
> hybridizers rather than
disappointment. Do I have to put it in the
> form of a motion? Nobody
responded that they even read my first email.

I will, of course, add back the
two iris that were in the premature (and
erroneous) winners listing if so
directed by the AIS president, or by a
passed motion from the board.

But
bending (or breaking) the rules because we feel sorry for the
hybridizer
seems like the wrong thing to do, or at least a dangerous
precedent. Would
the subject even have come up if the iris involved came
from Schreiners? I
certainly sympathize with not wanting to discourage a
hybridizer, though.
One further question: The early list had a three-way tie for sixth place
in
the Siberian HM winners with 20 votes (and the category was supposed
to have
six winners plus ties). Two of them dropped off the list when
one of the
three got a vote in the late ballot. The question is whether,
if one of the
iris with 19 votes in the original list had also got a
vote (neither did,
fortunately), raising its total to 20, would it also
be promoted, or would
two iris with 20 votes be declared winners and
another with 20 votes not be a
winner? The two lists are shown below. An
example of my question is "What if
LAUGH OUT LOUD had 20 votes in the
second list?"

Anyhow, to reiterate my
first comment, I will gladly do whatever the
board and/or president wish. But
if there is much further delay in
releasing an official list I will be
purchasing a military quality flak
jacket to protect myself from those
clamoring for the list, and charging
the jacket to AIS.

Gerry Snyder
AIS
Awards Chair

Early list:

SIB HONORABLE MENTION
(Total votes cast = 693)
85
GINGER TWIST (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
78 MISS APPLE (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
38 LUCY LOCKET (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
26 CAPE COD BOYS (Marty Schafer/Jan
Sacks)
23 TRIP TO PARIS (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
20 DIRIGO INDIGO (John
White)
20 HOW AUDACIOUS (Robert Hollingworth)
20 JANE M. SADLER (Barbara
Schuette)
Runners Up:
19 LAUGH OUT LOUD (Robert Hollingworth)
19 SYLVIA'S LOVE
(Sylvia Borglum)

Revised list:

SIB HONORABLE MENTION
(Total votes cast =
699)
86 GINGER TWIST (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
79 MISS APPLE (Marty
Schafer/Jan Sacks)
38 LUCY LOCKET (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
26 CAPE COD BOYS
(Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
24 TRIP TO PARIS (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
21 HOW
AUDACIOUS (Robert Hollingworth)
Runners Up:
20 DIRIGO INDIGO (John White)
20
JANE M. SADLER (Barbara Schuette)
19 LAUGH OUT LOUD (Robert Hollingworth)
19
SYLVIA'S LOVE (Sylvia Borglum)
sign-off this list, send email to the AIS Secretary