Re: Final Awards List

On 8/18/2012 1:51 PM, MORRISJE1@aol.com wrote:
> As I said earlier and state more strongly now:  I think it is
> inherently wrong for AIS to put out an awards list and then to have to
> correct it removing people who had a false joy and were already
> receiving congratulations from around their region.  I would rather
> see us add them back in and error on the side of encouragement to
> hybridizers rather than disappointment.  Do I have to put it in the
> form of a motion? Nobody responded that they even read my first email.

I will, of course, add back the two iris that were in the premature (and
erroneous) winners listing if so directed by the AIS president, or by a
passed motion from the board.

But bending (or breaking) the rules because we feel sorry for the
hybridizer seems like the wrong thing to do, or at least a dangerous
precedent. Would the subject even have come up if the iris involved came
from Schreiners? I certainly sympathize with not wanting to discourage a
hybridizer, though.

One further question: The early list had a three-way tie for sixth place
in the Siberian HM winners with 20 votes (and the category was supposed
to have six winners plus ties). Two of them dropped off the list when
one of the three got a vote in the late ballot. The question is whether,
if one of the iris with 19 votes in the original list had also got a
vote (neither did, fortunately), raising its total to 20, would it also
be promoted, or would two iris with 20 votes be declared winners and
another with 20 votes not be a winner? The two lists are shown below. An
example of my question is "What if LAUGH OUT LOUD had 20 votes in the
second list?"

Anyhow, to reiterate my first comment, I will gladly do whatever the
board and/or president wish. But if there is much further delay in
releasing an official list I will be purchasing a military quality flak
jacket to protect myself from those clamoring for the list, and charging
the jacket to AIS.

Gerry Snyder
AIS Awards Chair

Early list:

SIB HONORABLE MENTION
(Total votes cast = 693)
85 GINGER TWIST (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
78 MISS APPLE (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
38 LUCY LOCKET (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
26 CAPE COD BOYS (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
23 TRIP TO PARIS (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
20 DIRIGO INDIGO (John White)
20 HOW AUDACIOUS (Robert Hollingworth)
20 JANE M. SADLER (Barbara Schuette)
Runners Up:
19 LAUGH OUT LOUD (Robert Hollingworth)
19 SYLVIA'S LOVE (Sylvia Borglum)

Revised list:

SIB HONORABLE MENTION
(Total votes cast = 699)
86 GINGER TWIST (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
79 MISS APPLE (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
38 LUCY LOCKET (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
26 CAPE COD BOYS (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
24 TRIP TO PARIS (Marty Schafer/Jan Sacks)
21 HOW AUDACIOUS (Robert Hollingworth)
Runners Up:
20 DIRIGO INDIGO (John White)