Re: July AIS Bulletin for Emembers

I do not think wishing to balance the budget endangers the good name of AIS. That seems a bit melodramatic. We did extensive surveys and interviews before creating our pricing structure and I do not remember anyone protesting the suggestions. I think your idea is a good one, and should be explored, but my concern at the moment is not what we can give away, but how we can how we can bring in more. The e-memberships have barely existed for 6 months. They still have a lot of development that could be thought about and accomplished. We could certainly do a survey to see how many people would add the e-membership to an existing membership at a combined rate or at the present rate, and then act on those results. Presently I think just understanding what an e-membership is, is more the issue for many. I hope I never sound like I am just defending the status quo. We have too far to go, and too many changes needed, in order to make this society relevant to the present world. We are n!
 ot there yet, and it will always be a work in progress. It is interesting that the times in our history when the society doubled in membership in the space of 4-5 years were also times of rapid change in the society. I think we could be in that type of time once again. Sometimes deciding what needs to come first is difficult. I wish you could turn your thoughts to how we get the budget balanced? Our reserves have continued to dwindle. The electronics fund also has less in reserve. Maybe you are correct and having a lower combined rate would bring in more money. If so I would be all for it. My quarrel is not with your idea, but it comes in the midst of a discussion where most of the comments of others seems to be centered on why cannot we have stuff for free.