Re: Motion regarding foreign registrations

Yes, but just recently. So far I have heard back only form Jean Peyrard who wrote:

>> I agree it's a good solution, I transfer to the French Society
>>
>> Friendly
>> Jean

> If hopefully a majority of them approve, then I think this motion/policy is a good compromise to the problem.  We could add information about each Associate Registrar on the AIS website and in future Bulletins as an announcement of this new Policy.  Hopefully e membership will bring in more overseas members and it might increase registering of iris all over the world.
>
> Our intent here is to continue to register all iris and not to do an end run around the foreign associate registrars.
>
> Jill

The Associate Registrars provide several services. Of course the ARs from non-english speaking countries provide translation and transliteration services.

All ARs have access to irisregister.com and are to check the submitted names against that database. Certainly that database is not completely up to date at any given point, but it provides a base starting point.

Describing an iris is not the easiest thing to do and the ARs, because of their experience with irises, are able to review and edit the submissions and greatly ease my workload. I of course still have to deal with some of the strange descriptions that come in from North American hybridizers, but that is not the issue here.

The ARs also provide a central reference point for their "iris citizens"  to answer questions and smooth the process of applying for an iris registration. They are the communication path between me and the hybridizer. They also are able to keep the hybridizer in touch with the country iris organization.

It does not sound like a big job, but it in fact helps me a great deal. It also promotes the iris community around the world.

While the different foreign iris societies charge different fees, and may continue to charge a fee in addition to the fee aid to the AIS, this solution seems to be a reasonable compromise, mitigates some of the cost to foreign registrants, and provides a uniform approach to all registrants.

John