In search of Options

I appreciate Jimbs kind remarks. I know that Jim has put in an enormous
effect with his milestone column (a really good idea) and many other projects
too long to list. And certainly the other board members have made significant
contributions or they would not be on the board. I do respect all their
opinions even when I try to argue strongly for mine.

I would like to rephrase the discussion. In less than eleven years the AIS
will be 100 years old if we make it. B  Since I donbt have definite figures
some of my suppositions are guesswork but we appear to be headed for a crises
and I hope I am defining it before it takes over and we are helpless. The
problem is this: Our membership decline means less income. The bulletin costs
will increase per capita as a result. Something is going to have to give.
Increasing dues I believe would only push further, the downward spiral.
Cutting Bulletin costs will change the bulletin from what it is now whether we
like that change or not. Options might be eliminating the perfect bind and
reducing bulletin size. Dropping one or two issues a year. Changing back to
black and white without color. Every one of these options seems less desirable
than what I have suggested. Each of them would be less attractive to members
and not useful in gaining new ones. Of course we may be able to remain in
denial mode until the next treasurers report this fall. But without a cohesive
plan to turn the membership loss around we will be sustaining the bulletin off
reserves and that will last a very short time. We donbt need a magic bullet
but a magazine full of magic bullets. And even if we figure out what those
bullets are, they have to be implemented and will still take time to work.
Supposedly the strategic planning committee will be put an action plan
together. But it can not be done without the input of everyone. We need those
ideas now. They can either be something new or something we have forgotten but
obviously they have to be different than the status quo that isnbt working.