From: owner-aisdiscuss@aisboard.org [mailto:owner-aisdiscuss@aisboard.org]
On Behalf Of John I Jones
Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2008 4:55 PM
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] Website Redesign

On Aug 24, 2008, at 3:51 PM, MORRISJE1@aol.com wrote:

> John,
>
> Some times two or more heads are better than one.  I like a lot
> about  our
> website and the daylily one as well, but neither is as good as they
> can  be.  I
> think the American Daffodil Society one is better than both and
> the  Hosta
> Society isn't bad either.

I want to continue to get input from whomever would like to speak up.
Ideas come from everywhere. That is different than having a decision
making committee.

As to the websites you mentioned, I personally like the clean open
look of the Daffodil site.

I have asked several times over the last year for comments and
suggestions on the redesign. Few answered, and a number of the
suggestions were not particularly compatible, but I have tried to
distill the best of the best. I believe the board has had, and
continues to have opportunity to comment on what the redesign should
consist of and what content needs to be added. Content and purpose
drive design to be sure. Just because I have started talking to a
designer doesn't mean that the content or the design is frozen. If it
takes me starting to talk with a designer to get people talking about
what they think would be good, SO MUCH THE BETTER !

We will go through (probably several) reviews and everyone will have
an opportunity to comment, and I will listen carefully.

As you might well imagine, we won't be able to please everyone
because there are a wide range of opinions. If we tried to compromise
to every objection we will (not might) come up with a lesser product,

Yes some of the navigation on our current website is not good nor
particularly intuitive. I am also working on that. The link to the
youth page is under Iris Links/ AIS Initiatives (5th one down in that
list)

Yes it should be at least one level higher (at the AIS Initiatives
level with Iris Societies, AIS Regions and the rest.) I have made
that suggestion to Chris. We should also have the Foundation link at
least at that level.

I also think that there should be Youth link in the main Navigation
bar with its own set of pages in our site and have asked Cheryl and
Nancy Price (webmaster for the youth-iris site) if they can come up
with some new content to put on a Youth section on the AIS site.

I will ask Chris if he can't change the picture on the Convention page.

John