RE: Shipping irises to Canada

Hi Again Brad,
I am a little confused about why, or how, your inspector for the State of
Utah can just refuse to issue phytosanitary certificates.

In the state of Washington, there are many nurseries growing different types
of plants, tree farms, etc., all of which ship plants, Christmas trees, etc.
out of the country. These all have to be inspected and have phyto-certs
issued. If our inspector just decided he did not want, or would not, issue
phyto certs, I don't think he would be in his job very long - this is a part
of his job. He has an assigned territory and is responsible for inspecting
nurseries in that territory, and issuing the necessary paperwork that allows
these nurseries to export plants. He is responsible to his supervisors in
Olympia,WA and also to the Federal Government, for the phyto-certs he
issues. If our regular plant inspector is on vacation, they always send
another inspector from Olympia if we have plants that need to be shipped -
they charge mileage which can be very expensive, but they get the job done.

It would seem to me that if you want to send guest irises to Canada for the
convention in 2011, and your local state inspector refuses to issue you the
necessary phyto-cert, you could go to the supervisor in the State Ag
department, or to someone at the Federal level.

It would seem that this is not as much an AIS problem as it is a problem
with the Ag. Department within the State of Utah.

Barbara

Sorry to confuse good folks, but the smuggling was nothing more than dramtic
joke to get people to focus on how serious this issue to someone who lives
in a State that refuses to issue Phyto certs. to Canada.  The only means
presently available to me to get iris into Canada is to smuggle them in
which I'm not going to do. That's the problem requiring an AIS solution.

Cheers! Brad