Re: Draft Youth Protection Guidelines

In a message dated 4/25/2006 12:01:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jijones@usjoneses.com writes:

Bob  Plank has submitted a draft of Youth Protection Guidelines for
members of  AISDiscuss to consider and comment on.

I have read the draft Youth Protection Guidelines. I respect and appreciate
the work that Bob has devoted to this policy document. On the other hand I
wonder if a simple statement of policy, say one paragraph, might not suffice.
Something to the effect that it is every member's obligation to be alert to any
 indication of child abuse and to report any suspected child abuse to the
proper  authorities.

The rationale for my comment is that the draft document might seriously
discourage people from working with youth. I shall not comment on the draft
document beyond this.

On the other hand I must say that I am glad I am not a kid in today's
America. I remember fondly the hugs I got from teachers, the pats from the  coach,
riding my bicycle with no helmet, standing up in the wind in the back of  our
truck on the farm, riding the horses bareback, and all the other things that
kids can no longer enjoy. I guess I am just a curmudgeon who has not kept up
with the times. :) Clarence