Re: Re: JT Handbook Revisions

In a message dated 4/22/2006 9:35:16 A.M. Central Standard Time,
in2iris@yahoo.com writes:

Thanks for reading, and again I apologize for the
length of this  note.
Now, I will put up my flame shields.

Gary White,
Garden  Judge, RVP Region 21, Chair Scientific
Committee, Director AIS, Director  SJI

Excellent response Gary.  I think the message is becoming clear  that this
category of Judges needs to be addressed formally.  And it  appears that others
have problems with the term "Retired Master Judge."  I  am all for the
certification process and perhaps a refresher every five  years.  And please, if we
go to certification let's do away with the open  book tests.  Although I would
never want us to make it as difficult as the  Master Gardener process or as
anal as the American Daffodil Society proctored  tests, I do believe it to be
too easy today with open books.  At least one  Region doesn't even require the
tests to be turned in to the RJT Chairman.   There are way too many judges who
don't practice what the handbook  preaches.  There are far too many that
aren't at all current.  Sorry  Clarence but that's a fact, and yet many very good
judges are not asked to judge  -- ever!

Jeanne sure hit a nerve with this subject.

Jim Morris
AIS Emeritus Judge (very active)
AIS Director
Section Liaison Consultant