Re: JT Handbook Revisions

Greetings, everyone, from Betty Roberts in Colorado Springs!

I haven't meant to be a lurker re. the recent discussions, but some of you
know that the Big C has made another appearance -- this time in the adrenal
gland -- and my husband has been involved in a clinical study in Denver which
entails three days weekly with some variations. After next week, we'll find out if
Ned has made any progress. If he has, he'll continue in the study; if not,
he'll have to go to an alternate treatment plan.

I'd like to see the following designations for iris judges:

1. Student Judge
2. Apprentice Judge
3. Accredited Judge
4. Master Judge
5. Retired Judge
6. Emeritus Judge

I realize that all judges are accredited, but if we used this term for Item 3
above, it would simply be a designation for the first fully accredited step.
Please note that no term is duplicated, and this should help decrease the
confusion of duplicate terminology. Also, the term "Active" has been deleted.

What I don't fully understand is the rationale behind a Retired Master Judge.
As per the Handbook, these judges are not required to attend training schools
or to complete an Activity Report unless they want to do so."
Earlier, it states, "These judges may be used as a show judge if needed by a
show committee." Are we sending the message that it takes less expertise to
judge in a show than it takes to judge for garden awards? I don't understand why
we wouldn't want all of our judges to continue their training for as long as
they are judging. If someone can explain the rationale in this rule, I'd
appreciate it. I agree with Jim Morris that one is either active or retired
(fully).

I agree with Clarence that two judging classes would be ideal. Some judges
have definite preferences, interests, and capabilities. Some enjoy voting the
ballot and have no interest in show bench judging, and vice versa. It would not
be an impossible task to go this route, but it would require a lot of work and
a complete restructuring of the judging system.

The lesser known irises have come and gone, and I look forward to the iris
season ahead!