JT Handbook Revisions

Greetings to all:
     To start the examination of revisions to the AIS Judges Training
Handbook, Section A -- I submit the following item for discussion.   There
will be
several items to consider over the coming weeks and months before we reach
final
positions for all items at the Fall Meeting in KC.   Presenting one item at a
time should make the discussion more focused and productive toward reaching
agreement on each of the items we need to consider.
     These specific items for discussion have been selected and suggested to
me by Roy Epperson (JT Handbook Chair, for those who do not know). Both Roy
and I urge you to express your views, opinions, observations -- please
participate!

 FYI: Thirteen individuals offered any comment at all on the AISDiscuss topic
of "electronic membership" which was posted very recently -- 13 people out of
a group of AIS leaders numbering well over 60 individuals who receive
AISDiscuss.   Perhaps many of you did not feel that electronic membership was
something that pertained to you. Okay, but the Judges Training Handbook
pertains to
all whether you are a judge or just like to enter shows.   (There are no
"simply a member" individuals receiving AISDiscuss.)
     The quality of our judges very definitely effects the impact and
perception of our organization with the public, foreign and domestic. This
very
important function of our operation as a plant society demands that we pay
careful
attention and thoughtful consideration to the training received by our judges.

AIS HANDBOOK FOR JUDGES   AND SHOW OFFICIALS
     Section A -- Judges & Judges Training   (Begin page 1)
> Item 1.    A clarification of the terms used to designate AIS judges.
>       At the present time, the Handbook refers to student judge, apprentice
judge, fully accredited judge, garden judge, active master and retired master
judges, and emeritus judges.   Of particular need is an unambiguous
designation
for the accredited judge that we now call "Garden (G)" which implies that
this judge is not qualified to judge accredited exhibitions.  For
consideration:
"Student Judge (SJ), Apprentice Judge (AJ), Active Accredited (AA), Active
Master (AM), Retired Master (RM), Emeritus Judge (EJ).

>      There will be many more to come -- Items such as the definition of
> acceptable JT instructor; definition of structured classroom JT; clear
> delineation of what a Retired Master judge can and cannot undertake; and so
forth.

>      Item #1 is the first step and which I hope will start us on a path
> that will lead to a consistent and reasonable set of guidelines and "rules"
for
> AIS judges and the manner in which they are trained and accredited.
>      Cheers!
               Jeanne